Monday, June 29, 2015

Turtle Update

Tootsie Smiles

Have you ever seen such a cute little guy?  Maybe I'm prejudiced but I think Tootsie is exceptionally handsome.  At the moment I'm thinking he's a little boy.  Of course he could turn out to be a girl when he gets older.  It's so hard to tell when they're this little.  He looks huge in this picture but his shell is just a bit larger than a quarter.

Tootsie has a very good appetite.  He eats at least twice a day. Right now he enjoys the floating turtle food and has learned how to eat the freeze dried shrimp.  Of course I have to break the shrimp in tiny pieces.  The first time I fed him the shrimp I threw in a whole one with the assumption that he would bite off pieces.  Wrong.  He started at one end and worked that whole thing down his throat.  I have no idea how he didn't choke on it much less where it went in that tiny body.  Lesson learned.

As you can see his looks have changed significantly over the past month.  He has probably doubled in size and his shell and skin have lightened.  I was sorry to see those cute yellow spots go away.  Tootsie is so much stronger now and has the beginnings of some leg muscles.  That's my boy!

May
June

As Tootsie got bigger I started to notice some bumps on his chin.  As he grew they were noticeable.  I googled them and discovered they are called barbels. I like to think of them as Tootsie's goatee!

Every dapper gentleman has a goatee!

This little fellow has truly brightened my days.  I look forward to seeing his adorable face when I come home.  Although I've only had him 4 months but he already knows me and comes running when I look in his tank.  I like to think he loves me for me and not just for the food that comes with me!

One legged dance.  He's quite the acrobat

Showing off his abs
I hope to get a larger tank in the next few months.  Although he has plenty of room in the 10 gallon I'd like to give him more areas to explore. Gotta keep my boy happy!
Sharon

#turtle, #Easternmudturtle, #mudturtle, #babyturtle,

No comments:

Post a Comment