Sunday, March 2, 2014

Virginia Oddities

Another beautiful Sunday!  This makes two in a row for us.  It was 71 degrees and sunny today.  Just lovely!  We decided to take a Sunday drive to the Rockahock Campgrounds today.  They are having a Christian concert there on April 25-26 and we wanted to check out the place ahead of time.  It was a pretty nice campground right on the Chickahominy River.  Sidewalk Prophets are going to be playing on April 25 and I've been wanting to see them for a long time.  They are one of my very favorite contemporary Christian bands.  I'm really looking forward to this concert.

After looking around the campground we decided to cruise the local area to see what else we could find.  My GPS told me there was a BBQ restaurant right down the road.  Once again the GPS did me wrong.  The BBQ place turned out to be a gas station!  I'm thinking we won't be eating there.  This is why we try to check out locations ahead of time.  I need to know how far away the food is at all times! (only slightly exaggerating!)  You don't want to let me get too hungry or it's kind of reminiscent of a Snickers commercial!

I've been wanting to take some photos and this warm weather is right up my alley.  I love to do photography but I'm not die-hard enough to brave the cold weather.  It's just not in me.  We didn't have to go very far before I found some worthy subjects.  I love odd things or things in odd places.  So we were driving down the road and I spotted this tiger.  I was so excited you would have thought it was a real tiger!  Of course we had to pull over and take pics!  It wasn't till I got home and really looked at it that I realized I wasn't at an Exxon station.  I never even noticed that it was a BP!  Hmmm...that's odd.

Tiger statue at gas station
Exxon tiger

Right down the road I found another fabulous statue.  Again I didn't notice till later that the statue is of an injured horse.  Unusual.

Injured horse statue at Corner Tack Shop

I was very happy to have found these statues.  This is just the kind of unusual stuff that gets me excited.  But then I found something else that piques my interest...an antique store.  Love them!  This was right down the street from the horse and I just couldn't resist stopping.

Everything Vintage Co

It was a nice shop with nice people.  I found some nice blue mason jars for $6 which is a steal for the big ones.  I'm sure I'll be going there again.  I took this photo because I loved the signage.  All in all it was a wonderful day!

But now there's a winter storm warning for tomorrow morning.  Blah!  They're calling for 26 degrees, ice and 4-6 inches of snow!  Can you believe it?  I, for one, can not.

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment