Wednesday, September 24, 2014

West Virginia Bound - The Home Stretch

Mountains!

What can I say?  That long stretch of Interstate 81 has rolling hills, mountains and livestock spread here and there.


It makes for a peaceful ride.  Oh, except for the big trucks.  They always seem to want to go a lot faster than me (most people do).  I keep my cool though.  I'm just anticipating my next turn.

So we merge back onto 64 and there it is.  My longtime friend.  Or I could say 'friends'.  This is House Mountain, also known as Big House Mountain and Little House Mountain.  The most welcome sight that always greets me on my way home and lets me know it won't be long now.

House Mountain - Lexington, VA


One of these days I'd like to get a closer look.  There is hiking on both Big House Mountain and Little House Mountain.  And now that I found out there is a resident goat I want to go even more!  It sounds like a great day trip.  Well maybe not a day trip.  After hiking I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the energy to drive home.  So maybe a weekend trip.  I'll just have to force myself to stop there and not continue on to WV.  I think I can.  I think I can.

Finally we cross the line into Heaven.  We always stop at the West Virginia Welcome Center and get out to enjoy the view and catch our first breath of mountain air.  Bliss.

Gates of Heaven
The sprint to the finish is on!  Sometimes this seems like the longest part of the trip.  For those who have just driven through West Virginia on the Interstate, let me just give you a little advice.  Get off the highway!  You will never know what WV is really like until you drive the back roads.  I'll warn you though.  It can get a little hairy at times if you have a fear of heights!  But it's totally worth it.

Sharon

Sandstone Falls


No comments:

Post a Comment