Saturday, September 13, 2014

Leaving The Flatlands!

First Leg Of Our Trip To West Virginia

On the first day of our mini vacation we stopped off in Staunton, Va.  For one thing I wanted to try out a local restaurant named Mrs. Rowe's.  I have a cookbook from this restaurant which has a reputation for it's pies.  I actually have made the Pineapple Cream Pie and the Original Coconut Cream Pie.  I highly recommend either of these recipes.  You can find Mrs. Rowe's Restaurant Cookbook here.

As for the food, it was OK and the portions were generous.  I made the mistake of trying to eat all of mine.  Then I found that I absolutely had no room left for the pie.  I thought about taking one with me but I knew my hotel room didn't have a fridge.  Sadly I left my pie behind.  I had to settle for some cookies and a massive cinnamon roll.  We all have to make sacrifices at times.



Mrs. Rowe's Restaurant



After eating our fill, we took a short drive around Staunton.  They have some really fun artwork that's well-known in these parts.  I love to find unusual pieces and these are some of my favorites.

Water Spout
This is actually a Chesapeake and Ohio Railway water column but in this setting works perfectly as a water spout.

Giant Watering Can

 
Giant Flower Pots
We left the hills of Staunton and headed to the mountains.  It's impossible to explain the feeling you get when get a glimpse of that first mountain!



Onward to West Virginia!
Sharon


No comments:

Post a Comment